May 4, 2022

Day by Day

Kitties! Mom is still in a bad way re: sciatica.  Will it ever end?  Yes, but it's taking its time. 

MOM:  They will see me at therapy today, but no treatment  Just paperwork.  I'll be lucky to have treatment by next week.  Meanwhile pain is bad-and who knows when the first treatment will happen.  Dr. refuses more pain relief, so, on my own over doing it on tylenol.  Doesn't help much but it's the thought....

My dear friend Mary Roever and her cat ---Mariodacat ---are much in my mind.  Mary passed the same day that Paula did.   Mario is living with her daughter and son-in-law.  He must be about 16 at least, by now.

Mary and I were close.  Amazingly so, considering we hadn't met.  I had plans to fly there however.  She called me each day for years, for several hours at a time.  And I will tell you, she was the one to comfort me when Admiral had to make her last trip to the Vet.  I was beside myself and wanting to keep her home.  Mary made me see the selfishness of that and gently let me know it was already past time as my baby was suffering.  She talked non stop to me for several hours before I left...while I got ready...when I took Admiral to the car, and every inch of the way to the vet.  We were both crying every second of that terrible day.  She was there to comfort me and hold my hand so to speak, when I had no one who would go with me.   Family couldn't, and friends wouldn't, saying it was "too sad".  I will never do that to anyone should they ask for me to be with them.  Never.  She called me the minute I got home from that horrible trip and until one of my boys made it to the house.  She comforted me when I agonized over waiting.  

Turned out we were in the same town in Florida at the same time..and she worked as a secretary in the same building that my then husband worked in.  That's when our friendship started.  Who knew until  she got Mario's blog started, and she mentoned Palm Bay.  That made ME write her.   We taked on the phone.  She knew all the places I mentioned and generally where I had lived.  D, (Don, her husband) was in he Army and she was there waiting for him to muster out.  We all became fast friends.  

This is a memorial in its way, to Mary Roever.  I will miss you dear dear friend.  I didn't get to talk to you the past several years because you weren't able.  But I remembered and remember,  you always. 

Katie and I send our love, as we  always do.


 





31 comments:

Eastside Cats said...

So sorry that you are going through all of this now.

Kea said...

We're so sorry for Mary's loss, added to Paula's, and we're sending soft purrs to your mom, Katie. ♥

Pumpkinpuddy said...

Pumpkin's mom here. Of all the people we've lost over the years I've been part of the cat blogosphere, this one hurts the most. Mary and Don were among the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure to spend time with. Mary and I spoke online every day until she couldn't any more. I'll miss her gentleness, her good humor, her grace through all her medical issues, and just having her as a touchstone in my life. I'm dealing with my own medical issues the last year or so, and she's my guiding light of how to cope with grace and always look at the good side of life.

Lynn and Precious said...

What a thoughtful commemoration to your friend. Thank you for sharing such loving
friendship. I do wish for you pain relief soon. Lynn and Precious

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Katie Isabella,
Well, even a meaningful virtual friendship's death can hurt like hell, far worse even than sciatica because deep down we know it is NOT permanent.
But what a great co-incidence for having met through kitties by all means!
She will be remembered, she left a legacy in her own way and we will all meet again.
Hugs,
Mariette

da tabbies o trout towne said...

I learned of Mary's passing and send sincerest sympathies to her family as well

I am sorry "C" you've lost an amazing friend; you can bet she looks down from
heaven; and looks after you now.... and she always will ~~~ ♥♥♥

"L"

da tabbies o trout towne said...

check your email ~~~ ♥

da tabbies o trout towne said...


We learned of Mary's passing, and send sincerest condolences to her family

I am sorry to learn about your friend; Mary looks down from heaven now;
watching over you, and she always will ~~~ ♥♥♥

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

I only knew Mary through exchanging cards at Christmas, but she sounds like she was a wonderful person. I am sorry you have lost such a true and longtime friend.

Athena Cat Goddess Wise Kitty said...

So sorry that your mom is still in pain.

Sending healing purrs xx

My Mind's Eye said...

Carole,
I am so sorry about your friend Mary. I know exactly how you feel about cyber buddies.
I'm glad Mario has a home for his golden years
Hugs to you and Katie Isabella
Cecilia

Brian's Home Blog said...

I sure hope you get some help for your back soon, our Dad knows how horrible that can be. We just posted about Mary over at The Cat Blogosphere, there's a link where you can leave a message on the Guestbook. I'm glad Mario had a place to call home. I need to update that post to include that.

The Island Cats said...

So sad about Mary. I loved Mario and always enjoyed visiting him when he blogged. The mom says to try Aleve instead of Tylenol. She gets a pinched nerve in her back that affects her leg, very painful, and she has better luck with Aleve for the pain. ~Ernie

Marvelous Marv said...

Gosh! I am sorry to hear about Mario's Mom Mary! I loved it when Mario came and visited Nellie! She always had the best comments! I will pray for her and especially for Mario. It is tough on old cats.
And Carol, sciatica is awful! I can't take any pain killers, so I have been using my Tens machine, heating pads, ice and hot baths. What helps the most are the good old hip stretching exercises for seniors. I tried to make an appointment at the physio place in the next town (60 minute drive) and I can;'t get in to see them until the end of JUNE! Take care dear friend!
Tell Katie Kozmo has the Toy-Yoda fired up so he can take Katie for a spin around the universe! May the fourth be with you!

meowmeowmans said...

We're so sorry that sciatica is causing you so much pain, and do hope treatment can start as soon as possible. We are so glad Mario has family to live out his yearsm, but we are so sad about Mary. The memories you shared are beautiful and special, and we thank you for sharing them. It's clear the two of you shared a special bond, and we send you love and gentle purrs as you miss her.

Ruby Rose and the Big Little Angels 3 said...

We are sending prayers for your mom, and we are so sorry she lost a special friend. They are hard to come by.

Pam and Teddy said...

So very sorry your Mom is in pain dear Katie - and not just the pain of sciatica which I know is awful but the pain of losing a dear and close friend. People who are that close have a bond that when broken for any reason leaves a hole that's so hard to fill up in the heart. We hope that will happen in time for your Mom. Those memories will NEVER go away. Please give your Mom a hug from us.

Love, Teddy and Mom Pam

Mickey's Musings said...

So nice that you had this friendship and so sorry that your friend has passed.
Sending you lots of comforting thoughts.
Purrs, Julie and the mum

Leah said...

So sorry you are having so much pain from the sciatica! Many purrs here for you to get relief right away! I did not know Mary at all; I'm so sorry for her loss too, and that you lost a friend, Carole. The world needs these good cat people.

Lily said...

Oh Katie, I'm so sorry your Mom is in such pain. Shiloh sends her #healingpurrs & we all send her lots of love! PurrpurrPurrpurrPurrpurrPurrpurrPurr
My mom can't stop crying over Mario's M crossing OTRB. She says the sun shines less brightly because Mary isn't here with us any longer. She was the kindest, most compassionate person, always there with a shoulder to cry on & wonderful motherly advice. Since her passing we've heard so many stories about how she was there for someone in the anipal community. While I know the past few years have been hard for her it was a comfort to know she was still with us. She is, and always will be, loved very, very much. Sending your Mom a big ((((((HUG)))))) as she misses our dear friend Mary. How blessed we all are that she was a part of our lives!
Love you my sweet furiends! ((HUGS))
<3<3<3
#AngelLily, #AngelLuna, Shiloh & Bonnie
OxO

Genevieve said...

So sad and difficult to lose a friend. Also difficult to be in that constant sciatica pain. Mom read that untreated it can last 6-8 weeks. Mom had good results with a chiropractor and after 3 sessions in a week, she had enough relief to be able to sleep through the night. Hopefully, 3 therapy sessions will work like that for your mama. Paws crossed for her to feel better soon.

Love and licks,
Cupcake

M Dawson said...

I am so late with this I am early for next week so I am sorry. Family and then friend issues intervened but the Dash Kitten Crew are here now.

You memorial to Mary is perfect. Thank you for sharing it. I DO hope you get some pain relief soon. Pain skews everything and makes the whole world seem worse than it really is doesn't it.

Hold on there.

Savannah's Paw Tracks said...

I did not know Miss Mary. I do remember Mariodacat on Twitter. Mom L knew Miss Paula from hanging out with her at a couple of Blog Paws conferences. Both ladies will be missed

Photo Cache said...

So sorry about your friend and your back. Sending you healing vibes from Cali.



Emma and Buster

Meezer's Mews & Terrieristical Woofs said...

I sure hope you will get some good relief for your sciatica issue. Have you tried some gentle stretches? There are some good ones to try online...just a thought.

Its so hard when one looses a good friend...sorry that has happened to you, and I give you my sincere sympathy on your loss.

Many hugs, too.

(I did not know Mariodacat...)

Summer at sparklecat.com said...

I didn't know you were so close to Mario's human - my human and I didn't know them well. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Sasha said...

We are thinking of you from so far away. Having physical suffering is hard to endure. You have the memories of your precious friend. She sounds a lovely caring person.

Sasha said...

We are thinking of you from far away. Physical suffering is hard to endure. You have the memories of your precious friend. She sounds like a lovely, caring person.

Peachy, Faye, Granny and Angels Binky and Stippie said...

So sorry to hear about your Mom, dear Katie and about the passing of Mario's Mom. We remember them so well even if it is a long time ago that we heard about them. Soft Pawkisses for the both of you and will send Extra Healing Pawkisses to your mom and purrayers to feel better soon🐾😽💞

The J-Cats said...

It has, indeed, been a sad week.

Kitties Blue said...

We were very sad to hear about Mary. We always followed Mario until Mary quit posting. We are happy he is with family. Our humans are of an age, when more and more friends are getting their wings. It is very sad. Sending big hugs. XOCK, angel Lily Olivia, angel Mauricio, Misty May, angel Giulietta, angel Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth, Calista Jo, Cooper Murphy, Sawyer & Kizmet