April 23, 2022

But then...

 Kitties!  Mom and I do have a problem though.  

My anxiety and fear got totally out of hand when the blood test came... to a degree not seen before.  This time, I went all out.  Mom felt terrible for me.  I could describe how it was for me, but I'll spare you.  (yes, it was that bad).

I am speaking frankly to you, Kitties...

 MOm is extremely disturbed at my fear.  The Vets are ALL as good to me as a pot of gold and so are the techs- AND mom was right there.   I had 200 mg of Gabapentin in me.  When I tried walking to the door I wobbled badly so, that showed that it did work.  But my fear was out of the normal. 

Not sure what to do from now on.  

This is precious.  Swiped from Face Book.


26 comments:

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Katie Isabella,
Hope you are not feeling like growing 'Angel Wings' as on that kitty's image!
As for the 200 mg dose of Gabapentin, that would SCARE the hell out of me.
It affects the kidneys and that's what you got tested for + thyroid problem.
Stay well and hope they don't put any more chemicals into your kitty–body.
Hugs,
Mariette

Brian's Home Blog said...

I wish we knew what to tell you sweetest Katie, it's sure a problem. Dad can't take Simon to the Vet, he panics and his temp shoots up to scary levels. We're at a stand off on what to do with his medical needs too. Hugs sweet Katie.

Lynn and Precious said...

Oh Katie, we are so sorry to hear how anxious all this trip made you.
I've had cats who go limp with fear, and Precious who goes stiff as
a board and screams in fear. Kitties just don't want anyone but their
mom to hold them and poke them about.

Eastside Cats said...

Katie, we understand.
Our Sweetie really, really, REALLY dislikes being picked up, handled, given meds, etc.
We know it's hard on your mom too.

Mickey's Musings said...

Katie, it is too bad that you dislike going to the Vet so much.
I wish there was good advice to give you ,but I have none to give.
I just purr you don't have to go too often.
Purrs, Julie

Marvelous Marv said...

Katie, Jo Jo HATES the vet! And I, Marv, hate to be picked up and do not like strangers. At least Mom can get Jo Jo to the vet but she shakes the whole time she is there. They have to use gloves as she has been known to bite...Too bad vets did not do house calls! Kozmo sends his love to Katie. Purrs Marv

meowmeowmans said...

Katie, we are so sorry for you and for Mom that going to the vet is so traumatic. Ava gets so nervous that she sweats out of her paw pads. It breaks our hearts.

Ruby Rose and the Big Little Angels 3 said...

Is CBD oil a possibility?

Summer at sparklecat.com said...

I don't know what to say either, Katie. My human has never had a kitty with that problem at the vet. Yes, some have been more stressed out than others (like Sparkle), but it's never been unmanageable. We hope you find answers.

The J-Cats said...

Oh, poor Katie! We hope you have recovered from your Traumatic Expurrience. Shall We fly over on Our Magical Flying Carpets to comfort you, or would you maybe like to come and chill out in the Enchanted Forest, which is a furry calming place?

The Chair Speaks said...

Poor Katie, am sure it hurts. Our human is always present during our check-ups and will always give a helping hand in holding us. Sending lots of purrs and hugs!

My Mind's Eye said...

Katie Isabella I'm so sorry you have such anxiety with your blood drawing. I don't guess they make house calls do they?
I too love the FB photo
Hugs cecilia

John Bellen said...

What an ordeal for you, Katie. I've sent some suggestions, but I forgot to ask about the possibility of a house-call on the part of the vet. If they don't usually,they may make an exception for you, considering your reactions.

Andrea and the Celestial Kitties said...

Leo says: hugs!! I'm sorry you're so upset at them mean ol vets! I don't like them either.. I hope your mommy finds a solution for you. For now I'm gonna bring that nip and help you forget it, ok? purrrrr

Gidget Blue Sky said...

no gabapentin, mum haz used it in the past fur nerve pain wif bad side effects. i would try CDB canna-pet tho i'm not sure it is strong enuff fur vet anxiety but it will not hurt her like gabapentin will. i wood lean more towards the alprazolam route wif vet soopervision

Saku said...

You poor girl. I hope the v e t and mom bean can find another way for you to be examined. Maybe a house call (it might cost a little more in green papers but might be worth the less worry for you and mom).

Meezer's Mews & Terrieristical Woofs said...

One of our vets would put a towel saturated with calming kitty pheromones on it, over our carrier, and it made a huge difference when I had to take Pipo or Minko to the vets.
Then they would use the same towel under the kitty on the exam table. They did blood draws right in the same room, so no extra picking up, etc. Petcretary was always there to help...

I am sorry you have this trouble, Katie Isabella, and we hope you can find a good non-drug solution.
CBD helps Dalton with a lot of his anxiety...but he is on it every day. 5 - 10 mg,(liquid drops), and he weighs about 20 pounds.

Adorapurr said...

Dear Katie, please do not take on the responsibility of trying to understand yoor fear of going to the vet. We at Wonderpurr have varying degrees of fear. Some of us curl into a tight ball that not even Superman could pry apart, while some of us poop and barf all the way to the vet...and back.

Fwank is especially bad because he has severe motion sickness. He needs a special pill to calm him down, but even so he barfs something horrible. He can't even ride in a carrier. He needs a litter box and a tarp covering the back of the van.

I'm truly sorry yoo have such a bad reaction, and hope maybe some of the suggestions made by our friends will eventually work for yoo. Love, Dori

Leah said...

Katie I'm so sorry ... It sounds like you've gotten some good ideas here, I hope something works out well for you.

Pam and Teddy said...

Dearest Katie....we can't help having fear of certain things even if years of gentle care and no painful experiences prove we are safe, secure and cared for deeply by our vets and our other humans. It's in our heads and we can't help that. Maybe something happened in our kittenhood - maybe in our DNA (whatever that is). At least you know you ARE always safe at home with your Mom. As for age - it's just a number. Angel Sammy was 100% dandy until he just got tired and decided to head for the Bridge at 17. You have a whole lot more loving and living to do girlie so just settle down and quit eating furniture (that's the wrong kind of roughage....!).

Love and hugs,
Teddy

Fr. Tom Fish said...

I hate having my bloods drawn. What makes it worse is they whisk me
away from the housekeeper and that makes me doubly nervous. So, I feel
for you, but very happy that the results were good. That's the most
important part!!
Have a good week, pretty girl!

Genevieve said...

We are so sorry the vet's house is such a trauma for you and your mama, KI. But when the results come back so joyful, I think it's worth it. Well, almost worth it. Anyway, congratulations on the good report. Put it out of your mind for now.

Love and licks,
Cupcake

Jo-Anne's Ramblings Aussie Jo said...

Seeing a vet is like seeing a doctor or dentist for humans and some humans react in the same way you do,it isn't a nice feeling

Greg_1948 in_WA said...

I have no answer. Here Zeke is the terrified cat but he is scared of his own shadow but there's nothing for it except treats.

Smudge said...

Oh dear, I wish we had something to offer here. Mom would say I'm pretty good at the vet's, so they don't usually have to worry about me. Hopefully some of this advice will be of help.

Darla M Sands said...

Awww... Best wishes, my dear.