August 30, 2023

Morpheus, Where Art Thou?

...Here she goes... Mom...complaining again.  

Last night and for a week now each night I have climbed onto her chest after lights out,  to crush it and show my love, and I fell asleep.  That is hard on her she whined.  Just under fifteen pounds over her heart. she says.  It's a wonder it can beat, she says.

I quit doing that for a while now, but I have seen fit to start again.  It makes it extremely difficult for her to go to sleep she moaned.  Last night after standing it as long as she could, she shoved me slowly off.  I gained my legs and headed for her head as I always used to do.  She stood that too for a little while... desperately wanting to go to sleep.  My body weight is on her left shoulder joint when I do that, which hurts badly anyway, and my weight makes it worse.  Brovver showed her a baffle that would deter me and I know she will have to do that again.  So once again, showing her my love will have to take another form. 

She said it's one of those deals where you want to be left alone to rest and sleep, but how terrible it is when I , or the Ones Who Came Before, left for the Bridge. And there was no one to warm her, purr to her, wash her hair and arms, hands and face.  That is an unending sadness.  She remembers that while struggling to keep her shoulder safe from pressure until it heals. (Long story.  One of you knows what happened) and her heart beating.   :-) 

So, we go on trying to effect a compromise.  Oh!  DIL helped her turn around her new mattress...  3/4th od a year old...yesterday (HEAVY to the max) and she got a better look at our 40 year old boxspring.  She is going for a new one this morning and ordered us a new bed skirt too.  That box spring...oh how awful. 

Getting kibble out of my cardboard egg carton last night




21 comments:

Kea said...

It's all about compromise, Katie, even though it's hard for our fur babies to understand that sometimes. (Though kitties don't make compromises, willingly, for humans. LOL.)

Tell your mom good luck with a new box spring. I have a platform bed with an upholstered headboard now (always had box springs before) and I love it. My mattress is a hybrid, so quite heavy, but it's easy to rotate on the platform.

Anyway, you'll have to check it all out, Katie, when everything is delivered!

Lynn and Precious said...

Katie, you and I think alike, just opposite ends. When I grace Lynn with my sleeping
presence, I lay across her ankles. It makes it tricky when she gits up at midnight,
which I do not understand as I potty before bed. You and I are just trying to keep our
moms from floating away in a dream. Precious

The Florida Furkids said...

Angel Raz used to make biscuits in Mom's neck at night. She hated to stop him because he was so sweet and she knew she would miss it someday. She wishes he was here to do it again.

Eastside Cats said...

Katie, we know it's hard to breath when a big cat is on your chest!
Sweetie, however, is about 7 lbs., so she's no bother at all.

Greg_1948 in_WA said...

Everyone needs to work out a plan so all can get a good night's rest!

Leah said...

Katie, we understand this from all angles ... Certain rowdies here cannot be permitted access to sleeping humans. And with others, things work out fine. Lots of tough calls to make.

My Mind's Eye said...

Of course the new box springs brought on the need to dust and vacuum and as they say on chore leads to another...
Katie Isabella I surely wish you could fine a better place to sleep...maybe at mom's feet or on the pillow on the other side of the bed
Sending wishes to you both for a better night
Hugs
Cecilia

Jo-Anne's Ramblings Aussie Jo said...

Sleeping on ones chest can be uncomfortable for the person I know I had a small human sleep on my chest when they were a baby.

Brian's Home Blog said...

I know you'll figure it out sweet Katie or you'll make your Mom feel guilty. She does need her sleep too you know!

Melissa, Mudpie and Angel Truffles (Mochas, Mysteries and Meows) said...

I completely sympathize with your mom's plight. Mudpie is 19 pounds and it's extremely uncomfortable and hard to breathe at times. It kills me to push her off a bit.

pilch92 said...

I am sorry your mom doesn't appreciate your love. XO

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Katie Isabella,
LOVE this true kitty love story!
Hugs,
Mariette

messymimi said...

Maybe you could show your love by sleeping near her knees.

Ruby Rose and the Big Little Angels 3 said...

Mommy sleeps on her side. If she sleeps on her back I give her a mammogram.

John Bellen said...

Oh yes, the heartache of needing sleep - and relief from pain - and not wanting to push away such a sign of affection. Your mum feels it very much, Katie.

meowmeowmans said...

Katie, we know it's just because you love Mom so much. Ava does not sleep on us, but she does sleep diagonally, and stretched out in the middle, so that we sleep on the edges of the bed. :)

Kitties Blue said...

Well, Katie, our mom can relate. Besides Misty May being the cat on her pillow and head, there are usually four or five more of us pushing and shoving to get near the peeps. C.J. is the worst. Mom always says that C.J. would crawl right under her skin if she could. Hope you and your mom can reach a compromise. XOCK, angel Lily Olivia, angel Mauricio, Misty May, angel Giulietta, angel Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth, Calista Jo, Cooper Murphy, Sawyer, Kizmet, Audrey & Raleigh

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

I feel for your mom, Katie. I used to have 23 pounds of Eric sleeping on my head and 16 pounds of Flynn on my chest. Surprisingly I sleep worse now they are not here, or maybe it is not really so surprising.

Saku said...

Just a hint Katie, I find it takes the mom bean longer to figure I'm sleeping on her when I wait until she's asleep. But I don't do that furry often, as I prefer to sleep down at the end of the bed.
Hope you and the mom can come to an agreement.

Danielle L Zecher said...

My Charlie likes to sleep on my chest and has to listen to me whine about not being able to breathe.

Darla M Sands said...

Awww... Best wishes, my dears.