January 12, 2022

Just Because... And, Soap Box

 Kitties!  I told mom after it was too late that just because she can taste her food again pretty much does not give her a license to eat too many Oreos.  She did.  Who's sorry now?  Her.

Mom left me here and went out and bought two new black tops with really cool details on them.  Both have moderate small ruffles and one top has a ruffle over each sleeve top...sticking up looking cute!  That one was hauled off to the seamstress earlier  today and taken in at the bust darts.  She didn't try it on where she bought it...she never learns. But extra material is gone now. 

Mom found some 5 1/2 oz. wet food at Aldi's that I liked.  But their smaller standard size was not to my liking.  Then, when she went back to gather up more...of course there was none.  Here comes the  soap box.  Stop now if you don't want to read it. 

I want to know why there is ample dog food *I don't want to hear the old saw that there is an aluminum can shortage..that's baloney*  And no, it isn't still out there on the boats being forced to stay in the harbor  and not unload their cargo these months.  This shortage was going on long before that fiasco.   All this lack of cat food only, not dogs, was going on long before that.  No, it doesn't all come from Thailand, and Asia.  I want to know the real reason why it's, the food is not made and not stocked. But I doubt we ever will.  We will have to make out own if we can afford the meat for them, with the sky high grocery prices rising every week. 

Off the soap box.    


Stolen from Face Book



25 comments:

Adorapurr said...

*steps on to of soap box* Deer Katie - My momma told me saw was at Tar-jay and said the cat food aisle was pwactically nekked, while the doggo food aisle was BURGEONING wif noms. We are so stwessed at my house because my sisfur ChauncieMarie needs special kidney noms, and Chewy keeps delaying the order. We do have other Fancy Feast cans but many of them made us have *whispurrs* the squirts. Our noms that we all eat without the backend drama is often on backorder. I don't know who to blame, but I'm thinking it's someone who doesn't like cats. *steps off soap box* Love, Dori

pilch92 said...

I am with you on that soapbox.It seemslike dogs are cetered to everywhere and cats are ignored. XO

Brian's Home Blog said...

Yep, same soapbox here too sweet Katie. Make sure to read my Thankful Thursday post after 8 tonight...or tomorrow.

Ivan from WMD said...

Same here, Katie. Our mom has gone into a mild panic about the food situation but she won't give us details because she knows how we get. Oh, and we have to tell you that our mom started in on Reese's miniature peanut butter cups after over a year of abstention and she doesn't even have the excuse of getting her senses back. She can't wolf them like she used to but she's certainly tried!

Ivan from WMD said...

And more bad food news--Mom just saw this article in Bloomberg:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-01-11/can-t-find-pasta-or-cat-food-empty-shelves-are-here-to-stay

The Island Cats said...

They have to stop treating us cats like second class citizens!!!

NanaDiana said...

It's crazy the shortages of everything. I went to the grocers yesterday and there were NO potatoes except the 'specialty' ones and lots of bins were empty. Such an odd time in our lives. Love the panoramic pic. It looks like a cat train. lol. xo Diana

Photo Cache said...

Thanks for sharing the photo from Facebook.

Emma and Buster

meowmeowmans said...

It's true! The cat food supply shortages are just crazy!

Ruby Rose and the Big Little Angels 3 said...

When the food hits the shelves it is gone within hours. The best thing to do it find out what day the supply truck comes to you store and get there when it does then wait.

Lynn and Precious said...

Katie it doesn't sound very fair that your mom can find Oreos. But you can't have your canned food when you wanted in the flavor you want. Precious

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

It is a bad situation for sure! I don't buy cat food now so don't know if it is the same here. I do know dried kibble is plentiful though as we bought 4x10kg bags to take to the shelter before Christmas, and they were stacked high.

Tama-Chan, Benny, Vidock, Violette, Ollie, Heloise, Momo, Ryu said...

Brian was mentioning the same issue with cat food and we are befuddled! We haven't noticed any shortages here.

Purrs,
Tama and Benny

Pam and Teddy said...

Katie my friend yours is the third blog today that had the soapbox activity due to NO CAT FOOD. Our grocery was the same but Mom orders mine online because none of the groceries here or pet stores HAVE it. But there's dog food a-plenty and only dry cat stuff and treats (and even at that not much of it at ALL the groceries and we have FOUR different stores here!!) It's unacceptable - totally. I refuse to change to a dog just to satisfy the grocery stores so they will just have to find new sources or SOMETHING but it shouldn't be the customers' problem - it's the grocery chains problem!! OOPS - I think I must have borrowed your soapbox for a few minutes.

Sigh.
Hugs, Teddy

The Florida Furkids said...

Is there room for us on the soapbox? Same thing here. Walmart had pretty much nothing on the shelves. Mom did manage to order some on Amazon but now feels like she needs to be a cat food hoarder since Reesie will only eat certain foods.

My Mind's Eye said...

Katie Isabella today was the first day in 3 weeks I have seen grocery store stockers filling up the cat food shelves....My goodness me!
I had to make some menu adjustments due to shortages and I REFUSE to pay $12.00 for two boneless chicken breast
Hugs and so much happy that Mom is better. Oreos are very healing...just sayin
Hugs Cecilia

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Katie Isabella,
Yep, not only cat food but also other human foods are NOT available...
It starts looking more and more like Venezuela.
Love the centipede kitty!
Hugs,
Mariette

Greg_1948 in_WA said...

I said my piece on cat food last week. let me add I have gone to PetSmart and the cans I wanted were all gone but a handful here and there which I took. I am not leaving anything for the next guy. I bought some "premium" food--we have to eat--but one kind they liked hooray and the other they won't touch even hungry. That is the frustrating part.On the other hand the cat food--chicken-smells so good Maybe I should heat some up and spread it on a cracker for my snack! I may have to eventually.

da tabbies o trout towne said...

katie my stars if this post about soap is not spot on then call us both before we leave again for shopping overseas where we might actually get canned goods instead of handbags just to be safe as it is the same situation here and HAS BEEN ONGOING FOR MONTHS NOW and make sure if your mom spy's cat litter to nab it because it's also hit and miss and the whole aluminum shortage is so outdated our hats from the 60's are back in style because apparently dog foods cans are made out of plastic as are the soup cans in the person shopping aisle and now we must rest ~~~~~~~~~hugs from dai$y =^..*= ♥♥

Jo-Anne's Ramblings Aussie Jo said...

If I stood on the soap box it would break but that don't mean I ain't with you because I am

Genevieve said...

Your mom is so lucky to have some new tops. Shopping is fun. Mom has not been shopping in a long time - except online which is a crap shoot even on a good day. Also, kitties are not the only ones with food shortages. My prescription foods were "globally unavailable" for over a month and are finally back in stock. Mom is becoming a hoarder, in case of future shortages. Blerg. We furry folks need our dinner!! Do better, humans!

Love and licks,
Cupcake

John Bellen said...

I agree: the shortage seems aimed at cat-food and nothing else. It doesn't make sense, since the cat-food market is huge. What are companies holding out for? An increase in customers? They have millions. It's inconceivable that only cat-food is being held up in the mysterious supply-chain.

P.S. I'm glad your mum can taste things again, Katie.

Marvelous Marv said...

I am glad to hear that your Mom found some new clothes! I bet they look fabulous.
Did you know that the increase in pet ownership because of covid has led to a 7% increase in in demand for pet food? That was the line they tried on me. I have been buying the food when I see it. I'm not hoarding, but I try to keep a 2-3 week supply. Right now, my big issue is finding litter! In the last 2 weeks I have been to 6 different stores in 4 different towns and I finally found a small box and payed about $5 more than before Christmas. If I can't find any next week, I may have to get Alex to bring home the industrial crud they use at the mill for oil spills!
Kozmo sends Katie his love and wishes he could bring food through his tunnel for his grrl.

Saku said...

My mom bean has been lucky as she hasn't seen any shortages of my FF. She's changed my kibble since Sasha ran for the bridge and I really like it! But she says there was always lots of it here too.
Maybe there are more kitties where you live? Who knows, not me (or mom bean either.)

Darla M Sands said...

We've been fortunate to find our girls' preferred kitty food. Best wishes that things improve!