March 9, 2014

Cats Are Not Dogs. A Reprise From 2010

What a surprise, huh?  Cats are not dogs.  Seems so obvious but most people who are only familiar with dogs expect that cats will have the same behaviors as dogs.  That never fails to amaze me.  I never expect a dog to act or think like a cat...why would you expect a cat to act like adog?  They can’t, not either species, because they are a different species one from the other. Having such expectations lead to disappointment and a failure to enjoy the personality of this different species.
There are the usual common complaints from dog owners regarding cats….saying they are aloof.  That’s not true at all.  I suppose that came about because cats don’t jump up and down on you when you show up at the door, they just are there at the door to greet you.  Expecting anything else is not understanding or knowing the species.  Cats don’t usually come when you call them.  Dogs do.  I don’t think that should be a deal breaker.  They don’t bark or whine so while that is a dog talking to their people, cats have different ways of communication with their humans.  Not barking or making noise does not mean they are aloof and not needing human interaction and love.
Cats do love their people.  Anyone who owns one will tell you the ways in which their cat shows devotion.  No, they don’t jump up on you..they don’t lick your face, hand, etc. they don’t sniff you in intimate areas. What they do is easily seen if you are around one.  If you are sick,  a loved and taken care of cat that isn’t forced to live outside will stay with you almost constantly until you’re better.  
My Robin stayed with the kids when they were sick in bed or just confined to the house.  The cat only left to use the litterbox or to eat. She was demonstrably well loved though.  Not ignored. Moving forward to the present  my Admiral showed me great concern when I had a frightening severe reaction to an allergy pill.  My heart was racing at 190 bpm and my blood pressure (yes, I have a machine) was frightening.  I had the phone in one hand to call 911 if it got worse or didn’t do any better.  The bottom line is, half an hour later later when I could take my mind off myself and my condition once the bpm and blood pressure got more normal, Admiral had been sitting ON my feet staring into my face the entire time.  When I moved the machine away and put the phone down, she got off my feet and laid down a foot or so away, still looking at me. 
When I’m gone for the weekend, she climbs up at night and covers my shoulder and upper arm, snuggling deep and purring, and reaches down to hold my hand..literally, and lay her head on it to go to sleep.  I think this is love.    She shows love in a feline way every day.
 Cats need care the same as dogs and other animals.  No animal is self sufficient.  Cats need food and water too, and shelter from the heat and cold.  They need and crave love and affection.  When they get that, they too will be loving and affectionate same as any pet.  They need their litterboxes cleaned and you will see and know your reward..when they look at you and curl up trustingly on your lap or near you. 

I’m just sayin’.  

31 comments:

  1. I love cats AND dogs for their unique personalities! It would be a shame if they were the same...just like people, they are all different about how they show love, and that's exactly as it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad your mom re-posted this Miss Katie. It is an excellent post. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how lovely. AND true.
    I talk a lot, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a wonderful article Katie, we are so glad your Mom ran it again. It is so very true.

    Kitty Kisses,
    Cindi Lou & The Kitty Krew

    ReplyDelete
  5. That makes us smile pretty Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All true. All so very, VERY true.

    Purrs,
    Nissy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, I totally agree and can relate to you. However, my cat (Star) does lick my face, hands, etc. But yes, I totally see your point there.



    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a wonderful post, and we are glad your Mommy shared it again, Katie! We know very well that cats love us -- and they show us so, eeach and every day. :)

    Hugs to you and Mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember this post and I know what you are talking about. I have mentioned this before, my mother and sister had a cat named Albie. In her later years my mother had her health problems and Albie would spend the night with her. And if she woke up at night to use the bathroom he would follow her and wait outside the door. Then follow her back to the bed room.
    You have to know an animals behavior and how to read it. I don't think people give cats enough credit for being intelligent.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And cats don't hump your legs either, they have better manners than that. So very true all you say. Cats are more in tune with sick peeps, we think. Just picking up cats vs picking up dogs is different. Cats' spines are more flexible and dogs' spines are rigid. It always strikes me when I pick up a dog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Us cats is so furry special. And wes always tells yous when yous is special too!
    Kisses
    Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so right on with this post. I happen to love dogs and cats - equally as much - but have a cat because they are easier to have when it comes to getting a sitter. (no walking involved 3 times a day). My cats have been equally as kind, caring, etc., when one of us has been sick. I usually think that people that don't like cats have never really lived with one. That's when you really get to know what a wonderful animal they are. PS, we loved out dog very much too - but both are different and still unique and loving in their own ways.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My human always finds it so shocking when people don't get these simple facts about us kitties.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cats are not dogs...and vive la différence!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, I think Spitty *does* love me in his way, but I am sorry to say he is a lousy nurse. When I'm sick, he's off in some other room, pursuing his own interests and wondering where his food is.

    Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cats, dogs, all furries.... all of them are loved here :)
    Glad Admiral stayed with you when things got scary!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I sat reading this having my breakfast, L'il Katie, with ready tears making a run for it down my face...for the joy of having furry friends at your side is something no-one should miss out on... Our Four-legged friends have so much love and affection to share with their two legged ones. A partnership, for always... xPenx

    ReplyDelete
  18. You explain it so well Katie. Their differences just endear us to them even more.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We thoroughly agree with all of the above.

    In our family, #1 started out with cats. She had her first cat, Ikkyu, for fifteen years. After he went to the Bridge, she got a kitten (the much-mised Sen-Chan) and a month later, she got puppy Tommy. Well, that was quite a shock. It took her quite some time to get used to how different a dog was. Now she loves all of us equally, and that includes the Vs, and she would never mistake a a cat for a horse or dog, or vice versa!

    Purrs,
    The Chans

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awww!! Yes, both cats and dogs need the same things - complete love,total care, plenty of affection, abundant food, water, shelter and lots and lots of cuddles! Yay! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bravo Katie for being our spokeskitty!!! We have found those who say that about kitties have never ever known a kitty either.

    I'm not a lap cat but I will often sit by mom and I always like to have her in my sight.
    Hugs madi your bfff

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is precisely why I love both cats and dogs. They are very different. Each speaks to different aspects of me, and having both completes me.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I totally agree that cats and dogs are very different, and each expresses their love in their own way. The episode with angel Admiral san is so sweet. When I had nightmare, Goro stayed with me the rest of the night, and couple other nights. I felt very safe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great article! I have always enjoyed the difference between cats and dogs. And cats are a lot more social and "pack" oriented than a lot of people think. They are such great companions not just to me, but to each other too.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  25. My cats show me as much love as my dogs. Every night Ralphie waits for us to go to bed, then he waits for me to put my hand out so he can lay his head in it and start purring and then he goes to sleep. Marty and the Puffs all share the part of the bed right next to me and on my legs. They all snuggle close and trade off on who lies where as long as they are all touching me.
    Marty's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi sweet darling, Hope all is well with you and your Mom and all your Brov-vers! Your Mommy is a lucky Human to have such a loving girl XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello sweet Katie! I love this post. And of course, you're right about all of it. My huband and i have 3 kitties, and they stay indoors at all times. We are fastidious about their litter boxes, and cuddle them all the time! Love, love and more love is what they get from us. I love dogs too, but they are different. Just different is all. No idea why some folks can't understand that!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a sweet re-post! We are a little annoyed though that we dont get ta describe what good things WE do when TBT gets sick or injured.

    He never has... Maybe we can arrange for that.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Pawsome re-post !
    Me actually jump up on my humans if I don't get attention fast enough :)

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Leave your meows, barks and snorgles and we'll appreciate every one. XXOO